Wareham Department of Natural Resources
Ok, you got your shellfish permit, now you ask where can I get some steamers, or quahogs? The map above (downloadable and printable) provides guidance on the allowable areas for recreational and commercial harvesting of shellfish in the Town of Wareham. Please look at this map prior to going out digging, as the area may change without notice. Please scroll to the bottom for advisories, closures and or notices relating to shellfishing.
GREEN: MANAGEMENT AREA (RESTRICTIONS APPLY, SEE PAPER MAP FOR CORRESPONDING NUMBERED AREAS)
BLUE: RAINFALL MANAGEMENT AREA, closes at certain amount of rainfall (CALL 508-291-3100 ext 3184 for status)
YELLOW: DESIGNATED AREAS FOR HARVESTING OF SOFT-SHELL CLAMS (STEAMERS)
If the area you wish to harvest is NOT colored in, it is open to shellfishing unless otherwise noted below OR is physically posted closed at the location
If the area you wish to harvest IS colored, please confer with the map key.
If you have any questions regarding the map, allowable areas or general concerns please call our office at 508-291-3100 ext 3180
ALL PERSONS MUST HAVE A SHELLFISH PERMIT ISSUED FROM THE TOWN OF WAREHAM IN ORDER TO HARVEST SHELLFISH!
SHELLFISHING IS CLOSED ON SUNDAYS as of JUNE 1
Recreational oystering is CLOSED as of May 1
THE FOLLOWING AREAS ARE CLOSED TO SHELLFISHING:
- Weweantic River
- Parkwood Beach (all areas)
- Crooked River
- Hamilton Beach
- Wareham River (draw imaginary line from end of Worral Avenue across the harbor to the beginning of Crooked River, all areas North are closed)
- Westerly side of Broad Marsh River (along Pilgrim Ave ending at Algelo Ave)
- Onset Beach (from the stone bridge all the way around Shell Point up until the end of 3rd St)
- Agawam Beach + River (draw an imaginary linee from the end of Squaws Path across to the end of Sea Lavender Rd, areas North West up into the river are closed)
- Muddy Cove
- Broad Cove
- Area from the entrance of East River (Point Independence) over to the end of Woodbury Road
- Portion of Buttermilk Bay (beach area along Wychunas at the entrance to Red Brook)
- Portion of Fishermans Cove (end of Cleveland Ave, from the dock on the left to the dock on the right, are is closed)
PLEASE LOOK AT THE MAP PRIOR TO SHELLFISHING, areas are color-coded
Millers Cove Rainfall Management Area is CLOSED as of 06/04/18
There are no other current advisories, notices or additional closures at this time.