Birth Certificates

The Town Clerk’s Office maintains birth records of births that occurred in Wareham and birth records of individuals whose parents resided in Wareham at the time of the birth.

All copies of long form birth extracts contain the True Copy Attest and the Town Seal to authenticate the document.  The original birth record before 2000 stays with the town and after 2000 is sent to the Department of Public Health.

The record is public record if parents were or are married at the time of the birth.  

The exception is a RESTRICTED RECORD, i.e. child(ren) born out of wedlock. Restricted records have limited access, ONLY the Mother, Father, (if father is named on the birth record), and/or the child (16 years or older) can receive a copy with a valid Massachusetts Picture identification (license or I.D.).

If you are a guardian or custodial relative appointed through the court, and you are not listed on the birth record, we would need to see the court custody papers (original document with the court seal) and a Massachusetts Picture identification. Attorneys are only allowed copies of restricted records through a court order.

Restricted birth records can be legitimized if the parents marry after the birth.  We would need the parents to return to the office with a certified copy of the marriage certificate.  Parents would be requested to sign the Affidavit of Correction of Birth.  There is a fee to amend this record (see clerk fees).  There are only three instances where the child's name can be changed:  i.e. when adding the father, after a marriage and upon adoption.  Should you find yourself in this situation and would like further clarification, please call the Clerk's Office at 508-291-3140.

Temporary license or learner permits will NOT be accepted as identification. You would need to obtain a valid Mass Identification from the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

If one was born in another city or town and the parents were not residents of Wareham at the time of the birth, one would need to obtain a copy of the birth record from the city or town clerk in the city or town where they were born.  If you are searching for a birth record and do not know where the birth occurred, you can call Vital Records in Boston.  The number is 1-617-740-2600.

We do not accept out-of-state personal checks, so please send a bank check or money order made payable to the Town of Wareham. Anyone living out of state having been born at Tobey Hospital in Wareham, would need to send a written request with name at birth, date of birth, and number of copies (fees is $10.00 each).  You would send that request to Town Clerk, 54 Marion Road, Wareham, MA 02571.  You would need to enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope, or we would not mail it back to you.  If you need to receive the record quickly, one can over-night express the request with a second express envelope enclosed.

We make every effort to get it back in the mail as soon as we receive it.