To Curbside Opt-Out:
To purchase a Wareham Transfer Station Sticker with Curbside service:
To purchase a Carver Non-Res Transfer Sticker:
2021 WAREHAM TRANSFER STATION POLICY, STICKER AND
PAY-AS-YOU-THROW (PAYT) REQUIREMENTS
For Wareham and Carver Residents
The Wareham Transfer Station located at Route 28 will reopen for Wareham or Carver residents on Tuesday, January 5, 2021. Hours of operation will be Tuesday through Saturday from 8:00am until 3:00pm. Days and times are subject to change.
The transfer station will reopen as a Pay-as-You-Throw (PAYT) facility. The PAYT solid waste program will require the user to purchase a sticker that covers the cost of the operation and then pay a per-unit fee for the disposal of household trash. Like most of the 153 PAYT communities, the user will be required to purchase a pre-printed trash bag (town trash bags) that reflects the cost to dispose of the solid waste. There is no direct charge for recycling.
There are two available sizes for Town Trash bags:
- Small bag - 12-15 gallon bag that will hold 15lbs of trash. This size fits most kitchen trash containers.
- Small bags cost $1.25 each and are sold in boxes of 10 ($12.50 per box)
- Large bag - 30-33 gallon bag that will hold 25lbs of waste.
- Large bags cost $2.00 each and are sold in boxes of 5 ($10.00 per box)
Once confirmed Town trash bags purchase locations will be listed on the town website and printed in a local paper.
Transfer Station Stickers are valid from January to December. The stickers provide access only and do not cover cost of disposal. As this year is a new setup of residents 2020 transfer station stickers will be honored until February 1, 2021 (town bags are required starting January 5, 2021.) Stickers will be available to purchase online by late December.
- Wareham residents who do not participate in municipal curbside collection the cost is $125.00 for the first vehicle $60 for an additional vehicle.
- Carver residents the cost is $140.00 for the first vehicle $60 for an additional vehicle.
Wareham and Carver residents are encouraged to purchase stickers online. A link will be available on the Town’s Website. Stickers completed online will be mailed to you by the vendor. If you are unable to use the online portal stickers can be purchased at the Division of Natural Resources located at 48 Marion Road beginning in January. The exact date will be on the Town Website and
1. Only household residential waste is accepted at the Wareham Transfer Station. Household waste must be in a Town trash bag.
2. Admission to the Wareham Transfer Station is permitted only if the vehicle displays a valid Wareham Transfer Station sticker affixed to driver’s side front windshield at bottom.
3. Transfer Station Stickers are not transferable to other vehicles, the registration number on the sticker must match the registration on the vehicle. If a vehicle that has been issued a sticker is no longer in service you may receive a replacement. The old sticker must be presented with the new vehicle registration in order to receive a replacement sticker free of charge. If the old sticker is not presented then you will be charged for the new replacement sticker.
4. A person is eligible if they are a residential property owner or a year round tenant of a residential dwelling in Wareham or Carver. Stickers will not be issued to landowners unless a current building permit has been obtained.
5. If the proper paperwork is not presented then a sticker will not be issued. Requirements to purchase stickers are listed below:
a. Privately owned vehicles: A current vehicle registration permanently assigned to the eligible vehicle must be provided that shows the name of the eligible person as the owner with a street address in Wareham or Carver that has a legally occupied residential structure.
b. Leased vehicles: In the case of leased vehicles, the eligible person’s name and address must appear on the lease agreement which must be presented with the registration at the time of sticker purchase. All supporting documentation must be presented at time of sticker purchase.
c. Out of Town residential registration: If the vehicle is registered at a residential address outside of Wareham or Carver additional documentation must be provided showing that the registered owner or lessee of the vehicle is the owner of residential property within Wareham or Carver with a legally occupied residential structure. Proof of residency that will be accepted is a property tax bill, a utility bill and/or a valid driver’s license showing the Wareham or Carver. All supporting documentation must be presented at time of sticker purchase.
d. In Town or out of Town business registration: If the vehicle is registered to a business located in or outside of Wareham or Carver, the eligible person must provide additional documentation showing that s/he is the sole operator or lessee of the vehicle and is the owner of residential property in Wareham or Carver. Proof of his/her relationship to the business at the time of sticker purchase is also necessary. In addition, s/he must attest in writing that s/he will not dispose of commercial waste at the Wareham Transfer Station and will only dispose of household residential waste from the eligible person’s residence within Wareham or Carver. All supporting documentation must be presented at the time of sticker purchase.
e. Special requirement for all commercial registered plates: Since the Wareham Transfer Station is for household residential waste only, Commercial Registered Vehicles are not eligible for transfer station stickers. Exceptions may be made by office staff and require, at a minimum, proof that the vehicle will not be used to transport commercial waste into the Wareham Transfer Station. In addition, the individual applying must be an eligible person and able to prove that s/he is the sole operator of the vehicle and that the individual has no other method to transport waste from his/her district residence. In addition, s/he must attest in writing that s/he will not dispose of commercial waste at the Wareham Transfer Station and will only dispose of household residential waste from the eligible person’s residence. All supporting documentation must be presented at the time of sticker purchase.
f. Temporary Transfer Station Passes may be issued at the discretion of the Wareham Office Staff. Temporary Transfer Station Passes will be issued to a specific vehicle for a limited length of time. In order to receive a Temporary Transfer Station Pass you must have already purchased a Wareham Transfer Station sticker.
6. Wareham Transfer Station Stickers may be denied to any party who has neglected to pay taxes, fees, assessments, betterments or other municipal charges for not less than a twelve-month period.
7. Employees at the Wareham Transfer Station have the authority to refuse excessive amounts (5 bags) of household residential waste and/or other materials deemed unacceptable but not specifically identified. Failure to abide by employee’s instructions will be cause for loss or transfer station privilege.
8. Transfer Station Conditions:
- ACCEPTED MATERIALS: Household Trash, Recyclables: (no plastic bags), loose newspaper, cardboard and paper: including magazines, computer paper, corrugated cardboard, flat cereal boxes and junk mail, glass and plastic containers, steel/aluminum cans.
- MATERIALS NOT ACCEPTED: Stumps, Logs, Stone, Asphalt, Brick, Concrete, Insulation, Pressure Treated Wood, Mattresses, Box Springs, Demolition & Construction Debris, Raw Lumber, Tires, Flammable Items, Large Furniture (i.e. couches, chairs, etc.)